In my last article, Spiritual ByPassing, we took a look into what it was actions of bypassing. Now, we will go through the process of explaining “Shadow Work” and how to accomplish it for healing you. The Shadow Work practice helps you work through the items that you have not faced in your life and have buried deep within you; thus creating inner-shadows. In this article we will go over 5 ways to effectively integrate your inner-shadows.
What is the Inner Shadow
The inner shadows are merely the fragmented portion of yourself that has experienced pain or trauma and has not been dealt with. On the Psychological side of things, the shadow is the unconscious or disowned side of our personality. Most of your shadows came come from your childhood by product of your family interactions but not all.
On a spiritual level, shadows are any part of you that you do not see, acknowledge or accept. It is not just personality, not just in your head, but can exist outside of the mind. Think of these shadows as little computer programs that run without you knowing but can show up at the most embarrassing moments. If your shadows are not dealt with in this lifetime, they will follow you to the next for clearing.
Please note however, that shadows do contain both positive and negative aspects. Hidden away hurts or pain as well as gifts and talents. The reason for the positive being contained there is due to us being afraid to tap into what they are.
Problem with having Inner Shadows
Your shadow works outside your consciousness operating on its own, so this profoundly can affect our behavior and life experiences. Spiritually you can say that it works like a separate entity or inner fragment but it’s not a Ghost. It basically means that as an example a person who is sweet and loving one minute can be set off quickly snap the next. It acts like two separate people running at the same time and triggers can bring out the negative if not consciously working on them.
There is also a secondary issue that comes along with these fragments. Once you have this negative fragment it begins to attract like energy to itself like a magnet. Same energy draws to it the same energy. This can be a huge problem for a loving experience.
How to spot Inner Shadows
There are 4 ways in order to spot an inner shadow:
1. Projection: Ask yourself, how do I project myself to the outside world? Things that you throw out into the world at others is usually what your inner shadows are. How you see others, things you don’t like about others may really actually be a reflection of what you do not like about yourself.
2. Emotional Triggers: Ask yourself, What seems to trigger you out of nowhere? What sets you off from happy to angry in 2 seconds? Don’t be alarmed though – triggers CAN BE your best friends. Triggers can show you where there might be emotional issues that you have not dealt with and have buried. Jealously is a common trigger. What you need to work on if this is one of your triggers, is to stop, breath and ask yourself; Why am I feeling this way? Abandonment? Loss? Once you start to catch yourself before the storm, you actually can dig deeper and find the source of it all. The more you act out the bigger the trigger becomes – as you are giving it power each time.
3. Patterns: Start looking for patterns. Actions that keep repeating themselves in your life. Repeating experiences that may set you off emotionally. Looking at your relationships could give you incite, that if the same situation or reason for break-ups have similarities, then yes…it’s not them, it’s you. Catch yourself and start making a list for yourself if your not sure and see what materializes as common.
4. Introspection: This is how I was taught and I will share it with you as it will help to analyze your thoughts and behaviors. This is a journalling exercise. Ask these three questions and answer them truthfully. If you can’t be honest with yourself; you can’t begin to heal yourself.
1. What part of yourself do you dislike?
2. What part of yourself, do you judge?
3. What part of yourself do you fear?
How to do Shadow Work
The goal of Shadow Work is to integrate the fragments created; while adding more light to them for integrating. The more light that is shown on them while healing, the smaller they become and they begin to integrate.
1. Do not anger the shadow! Love and compassion with self acceptance is the way to shed light on this fragment. These fragments are born through non-acceptance. Complete acceptance of the shadow, love it, accept it and bring it closer to you is the way in order to integrate it.
2. Observation without judgment. This is when you come from a place of love, review it, accept it. Don’t let the inner critic come out in you and destroy all the positive work you are doing to integrate. Catch yourself, observe what it is, realize why and that you are human, accept it and them it will integrate itself.
3. Past Life Regression help. These fragments show up as shadows and are hard to attach to an experience during this lifetime due to them coming from a past life. Actually this means, that you were unable to heal these fragments before you left your past life. Hard to determine its meaning but these fragments show up in some way. If you want to know more about this see my article on “What is Reincarnation”.
4. Childhood experience review. This is also a journalling exercise. Answer the following three questions in order to see how you feel and find possible fragments from this area of your life.
1. Was I completely accepted by those around me? (i.e. parents, friends, siblings, etc.)
2. What was expected of me from my parents?
3. What behaviors and emotions were judged by my parents and/or friends?
After each of your journalling questions, you may say the following intention to begin the process of healing them.
“It is my intention to bring light and integrate these aspects of shadow that I have just written in my journal.”
5. Retrieve your gifts!!!! Don’t forget that there are positive gifts also showing as fragments. You want to integrate them into your experience. Discover them.
One question to ask yourself and journal about. “If I weren’t afraid, what would I do with my life?”
I want to begin this conclusion with a statement: Don’t beat yourself up over anything. Each step large or small is a step in the right direction. Don’t give up – as you are creating the best you possible.
I want to also mention another way that you could discover your gifts. Look up on YouTube “Shamanic Journey Meditations”. These meditations are a great way to meditate with an intention to learn your gifts. If you don’t receive anything the first time, keep it up. Meditation is a great way to relax, pause for a moment, and recharge your inner self.
There are also videos and content regarding your inner child healing if you feel this is an area in which you want to dig a little deeper.
Love and Light
Spiritual By-Passing – Copyright © All Rights Reserved